Question about Dutch (and Afrikaans) Grammar
MBruno
2013-02-07 18:47:07 UTC
Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I would appreciate if you
could possibly tell me how you would translate the following English
sentences into Dutch :

(i) I have to repair my car

(ii) I had to repair my car

(iii) I have had to repair my car

(iv) I had had to repair my car

(v) I will have to repair my car

(vi) I would have to repair my car

(vi) I would have had to repair my car

Similarly, I would like to know how a native speaker would
translate :

(i) I am able to repair my car

(ii) I was able to repair my car

(iii) I have been able to to repair my car

(iv) I had been able to repair my car

(v) I will be able to repair my car

(vi) I would be able to repair my car

(vi) I would have been able to repair my car

Since I am aware that Afrikaans may possibly use different structures
than Dutch for the examples above, I would appreciate if Afrikaans
speakers on the group could also tell me how they would translate the
aforementioned sentences.

Thank you very much !
el Presidenti
2013-03-04 08:05:04 UTC
Post by MBruno
Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I would appreciate if you
could possibly tell me how you would translate the following English
(i) I have to repair my car
Ek moet my kar reg maak
Post by MBruno
(ii) I had to repair my car
Ek moet my kar reg gemaak
Post by MBruno
(iii) I have had to repair my car
My kar was gevok dis hoekom ek die fokken ding moet reg gemaak
Post by MBruno
(iv) I had had to repair my car
Ek moes my fokken kar reg maak
Post by MBruno
(v) I will have to repair my car
Ek sal die fokken ding moet reg maak
Post by MBruno
(vi) I would have to repair my car
Nou moet ek die fokken ding reg maak
Post by MBruno
(vi) I would have had to repair my car
Ek sal moet my fokken kar reg maak
Post by MBruno
Similarly, I would like to know how a native speaker would
What is a native?
Post by MBruno
(i) I am able to repair my car
Habe! imoto fokele
Thank you very much !
Rink
2020-07-11 19:05:43 UTC
I know, I am a little late, but I found this Afrikaans newsgroup a few
days ago.

Do you still want to know what the Dutch translation is ?

Rink
Post by el Presidenti
Post by MBruno
Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I would appreciate if you
could possibly tell me how you would translate the following English
(i) I have to repair my car
Ek moet my kar reg maak
Post by MBruno
(ii) I had to repair my car
Ek moet my kar reg gemaak
Post by MBruno
Similarly, I would like to know how a native speaker would
What is a native?
Post by MBruno
(i) I am able to repair my car
Habe! imoto fokele